"Together We Grow"
Our mission is to support our small business members, while enhancing the quality of life for our citizens, and promoting our town for new development opportunities.
In 1949 the Eden Businessmen’s Association voted on changing the name to the Eden Chamber of Commerce. The first President, Marion Schwal, was a coal and feed dealer.
The Directors were Joseph Buntikiel, Silas Williams, Jay Palmerton, John Weinar, George Guenther, Clarence Smith, Charles Pearson and Stuart Eisile.
Eden had two wells that supplied, then, the two water districts. The problem was a heavy iron content and rust in the water.
The Chamber formed a committee to look at getting Erie County Water to supply the needs of the town. In 1958 the town of Eden petitioned the Water Authority, and water from Lake Erie began to flow into Eden homes and businesses in 1962.
Rhyme University opened on Main Street. Leon Olsen, a Director of the Chamber started a unique business from his home. He marketed a Kindergarten diploma across the country. The certificate, Rhyme University, could be had for all Kindergarten graduates. The business was sold in 1972 to a California company.
In 1953 the Chamber started a push for a new Post Office, also assisting the town Board in appointing a Planning Board.
Also in 1953 and 1954 the Chamber became active in a By-Pass plan, adopted by the State of New York to bypass Eden with a new route from Hamburg to North Collins.
The Chamber voted against it, stating it would split the town in half. Later this plan was dropped by the State.
The Chamber also became involved with the issue of Sewers. Knowing for the town to have growth they were needed. Cost for the treatment plant was an estimated $650,000 in 1955. The treatment was completed in 1975 for an estimated cost of 24 million dollars.
John Munich a partner in the ‘Garden of Eden’ restaurant organized a night at the Buffalo Bison Baseball Park. The park was then known as Offerman Stadium on Woodlawn & Ferry Streets in Buffalo, New York. John rented busses from the Garden to the ball game. The 4th Eden night, the attendance was 570 and the Eden Firemen’s Band played at the Park that evening.
Eden Central School had 14 busses. Eden Booster Club organized; Charles Carpenter was elected President.
A Bingo license was granted to the American Legion Post 880. Bingo began on October 21st. Production at the Eden Kazoo passed the million mark for the year.
The event of the 60’s was of course the Sesquicentennial Celebration of Eden’s 150th Birthday. George Guenther, then Supervisor of the Town of Eden was the General Chairman. Mr. Howard Hill, a great-great grandson of the first settlers of Hills Corner, now known as Eden, had the honor of acting as the Grand Marshall of the Sesquicentennial parade.
Different events throughout the town took place during the celebration; baseball games, wine & cheese socials, church services, band concerts, and lawn parties with a small carnival.
Of course one big attraction was the ‘Brothers of the Bush’. You either grew a beard or paid a fine and went to jail with the Key Stone Cops.
Some say a capsule was placed to be opened in the 2012 Celebration. To this date it has not been located.
Ruby Schue was elected President of the newly formed Eden Senior Citizens Club. The Eden Jaycees organized.
Gary Eye later became a district and regional Director.
With the success of the Sesquicentennial, members of the committee wanted to continue with an annual event. In 1963, the committee started to plan an event and in 1964 the First Corn Festival was held.
The Festival started on Friday night and continued on Saturday night and Sunday. It was a two-night, one-day event. Ms. Anne Heckman was the first festival Queen.
The Chamber assisted the early committees and became the lone sponsor of the third festival. Mr. George Guenther chaired the 1st and 2nd festival.
The Historical Society was organized. Ferris Randall was President. Ferris remains very active as of this writing.
V.F.W. Memorial Post 8625 of Eden was formed. Officers installed by the V.F.W. Post of Evans, New York.
In 1967 the Auxiliary of V.F.W. Post 8625 was installed by the Evans Post.
The Eden Corn Poppers formed by Janice Law. The membership in the 1st year grew to 150 members. The Eden Chamber of Commerce and Newell Faulkner Post 880 co-sponsored the unit. The Corn Poppers performed in Canada and adjoining states and in 1973 the Eden Town Board declared the Poppers as Eden’s Official Good Will Ambassadors.
The Eden Chamber purchased Eden’s first Christmas street decorations. 30 units of scrolls with lanterns were stored in the Canning Factory building. The decorations burned when the Canning Factory was destroyed by fire. However, the units were replaced in time for the holiday season.
Current Board of Directors
Richard Cerne, Buffalo Construction Consultants
Patricia A. Hartman, MPH Holdings
Ray Klein, Eden Agency (Retired)
Matthew Agle, Henry Agle & Sons
Gary Eye (Retired)
Melissa Keller, Clark Patterson Lee
Edward Krycia, Fisher Concrete, Inc.
Dave Walczak, Eden Valley Growers
Gary Sam, Town Councilman
Citizen of the Year
Business of the Year
Amos Zittel & Sons
Schreiber & Winkleman
Four Corners Café
John Roberts Salon & Spa
Kazoo Co., Inc.
Henry Agle & Sons, Inc.
Pine Ridge Enterprises, Inc.
Eden Sewing Center
Mary Lou Schwanz
Franklin Meyer Dental Office
R. Ferris Randall
Eden-North Collins Pennysaver
Absolut of Eden
Rosella & Donald Schasel
Dr. Kevin O'Gorman Medical Office
Laing-Gro Fertilizer Inc.
Laing Funeral Home Inc.
Eden Dairy Queen
Agle's Farm & Market